Astoria Branch was formed in 1927 and celebrates over 80 years encouraging continuing education, social responsibility, and women’s rights. Our branch began the successful efforts to add American history classes to high school curriculum and to bring kindergarten to public schools.
We sponsored Astoria historic homes tours in 1966,1967, 1968, and 1970. Our own Readers Theatre in 1985 sparked a renewal of the joy of live theater in Astoria. In our early years, our branch had many study groups encouraging the learning and discussion of music, history, the arts, and science. We are the neutral sponsor for candidate and ballot-measure forums. We have a book club and give special help to the public library and to local schools.
We sponsor the all-day WINGS conference at Clatsop Community College.